Michigan Short Track Racing Club: School Bus to pull trailer - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

School Bus to pull trailer

#1 User is offline   sped1111 Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hi all
I'm still working to the point of getting my first race car. Of course I need a way to get it to the track. Just wanted some feeback on how practical or realistic is it to use a school bus to pull the trailer. I figured it would have enough power, room for my crew if I'm lucky to have anyone help me, and additional storage space for spares. I have checked Ebay and the price does seem right. Just curious if this is something that is doable or unrealistic. If anyone has done this I'd love to hear the pro's and con's.

#2 User is offline   nate Icon

• building a new pure stock
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:i love racing//bombers are my favorite class//along with mods and outlaw supers....im racing in the lead sled division full time in 08

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

ive seen people pull their cars with some real contraptions...some would make you look and say what is that....i pulled a enduro car to dixie with a chain pulled through a tube to make my own little tow bar worked great until i used all the brakes in the race and i the why home the only way i could stop was with my truck..the damn car kept rear endeing me and killing my bumber...i dont see a problem with it..ive seen worse rofl3.gif
<i></i>Wolf Pack Racing
Nathan LeHotan (BUTTER BEAN)
pits
FRED,Zach

#3 User is offline   TT22KH Icon

• Kyle Hayden
  • Icon

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:06 PM

My uncle tows with a short bus and loves it. I have always wanted a bus to tow with.

You could make a real nice tow rig with a place in the back for spare parts, tools, even a small air compressor if you wanted to get real busy. Even have a small area to sit in during rain showers to stay dry.

I don't see why it wouldn't tow well, just do a good job of putting a hitch on it.
Kyle Hayden
#14 Jeg's All-Stars Tour/ACSS Impala SS

#4 User is offline   racer98 Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:15 PM

I found a link with pics
http://nh.craigslist.org

I think using a full length bus to pull a trailer will be a huge Pain In The Butt the turning radius would be quite large and forget about backing it up

if you are talking about using a short bus one of them should be fine as far as towing and backing up
2007 MSTRC Yahoo NCAA Tourney Champion

2012 Track Count Watching: Galesburg [3] Springport [2] Shady Bowl [1] Butler [1]

Racing: Angola [3] Galesburg [1]

#5 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:adrenaline

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

I hate to come in here and advertise,but...

I have a 21 foot motor home for sale that might be a better option. I've lowered the price to $2000. It's set up to tow, and ready to go. 1 ton Chevy chassis, 350 engine.

I wouldn't go off topic with an ad if I really didn't think I was helping with an answer to your question.

Mike
I do it because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

Todays Listening experience-

Dope- I Don't give a ****

Give it a whirl.

#6 User is offline   wallbanger Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:fabricating,racin,machining

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

some other vecichles to consider - cube vans, step vans, ambulance, enclosed utility trucks - any could be reconfigured into a rolling shop, motor/totorhome, anything you could imagine. eyeball each type and look for the most bang for your buck. imo a diesel would be best and check the rear gear ratio that alone can save or cost you big time at the pump, gas or diesel!

#7 User is offline   Champ2x36 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Racing, Camping, Shooting, Hunting

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

Over the years I've been involved with racing I can't just now remember anybody using a full size school bus to tow with, but I've seen a bunch of them that have been used to haul the car in the back, like the one in the ad that racer98 posted a link to. There's absolutely no reason that it wouldn't work, tho. A school bus is built on a heavy duty/truck chassis, it's made to handle a bunch of weight, so it would handle pulling a trailer with no problem. It's not gonna be a rig to park in tight spots, and it will take some room to back it up, but it should be no worse than the large motor homes and toters pulling long trailers that you see at race tracks all the time. My main question would be: Do you have the room to park it? If so, go for it! As a tractor/trailer driver myself, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
When the Posted Image drops the Posted Image stops!

Check out my website at: Posted Image

#8 User is offline   knight54 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Racing, School

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

I seen on racingjunk.com a guy that was selling a bus that he had a bus or sale and had some heavy duty ramps and astulaly loaded his car in the back of the bus. The ramps had to at least take two people to move them they were like solid steal.
Logan Knight, #37 4cyl Enduro, #24 Cyber Stock

#9 User is offline   Grant Campau Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

i say go for the one in the ad. itll turn heads haha.
Main Assistant Crew Chief when Rays not there, #75 Coyote Chassis modified.

#10 User is offline   sped1111 Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hopefully in the not too distant future, I will be using a school bus, undecided size to tow my trailer. Just curious. What would most consider the ideal trailer lenght for a late model. 18, 24, 28. Just curious. I know I'm getting long here with the bus in all, but like they say, go big or go home. Thanks for the input so far guys.

#11 User is offline   racer98 Icon

• Icon

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

i think 24 would be enough if you are putting parts and tools in the bus you could shoehorn the car into an 18
2007 MSTRC Yahoo NCAA Tourney Champion

2012 Track Count Watching: Galesburg [3] Springport [2] Shady Bowl [1] Butler [1]

Racing: Angola [3] Galesburg [1]

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users