Michigan Short Track Racing Club: What is the best cylinder hone to use? - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the best cylinder hone to use? Need to freshen my 355

#1 User is offline   Champ2x36 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Racing, Camping, Shooting, Hunting

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

My old 355 has been setting (in an unheated garage). Engine has cast flat-top pistons, cast rings. I turn it over now and then, so I know it isn't locked up. It had been overheated and lost a lot of the compression (I'm told a bad overheat will take the temper out of cast rings). I'm thinking of changing the racing cam out to something more streetable and using it in a street car. I have pretty much all the tools I'll need to freshen it up, but I'm wondering what kind and grit cylinder hone to buy. I've been "studying on it" on the internet, and there sure are a bunch of options and opinions on which grit to use. I had figured to buy one of the hones with 2 or 3 straight stones, but the Flex Hone (ball hone) seems to be a pretty good idea. I'm not really sure yet if I'll use cast or moly rings. It has cast in it now, would it be any problem to upgrade to a set of moly rings? Or would it even be worth the extra expense/trouble? Would I need a different grit to hone for moly rings instead of cast? One site shows 180 or 240 grit for cast, 320 or 400 grit for moly. Another site says to use 220-280 grit for any type of ring. ?????? confused.gif confused.gif

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ed
When the Posted Image drops the Posted Image stops!

Check out my website at: Posted Image

#2 User is online   governor Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Rather than spend the money on a hone you might not use much, just take it to a machine shop, have them deglaze and then pressure wash it for you.

Don't even think about honing it w/o removing the cam bearings and block plugs, to include the one under the rear main cap. There are too many places for grit to hide and then rear their ugly side when oil starts flowing.

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#3 User is offline   chevy2337 Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members
  • Interests:Auto racing, going left & drag racing. Old muscle cars. Vintage race cars...

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Champ2x36 @ Jan 25 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My old 355 has been setting (in an unheated garage). Engine has cast flat-top pistons, cast rings. I turn it over now and then, so I know it isn't locked up. It had been overheated and lost a lot of the compression (I'm told a bad overheat will take the temper out of cast rings). I'm thinking of changing the racing cam out to something more streetable and using it in a street car. I have pretty much all the tools I'll need to freshen it up, but I'm wondering what kind and grit cylinder hone to buy. I've been "studying on it" on the internet, and there sure are a bunch of options and opinions on which grit to use. I had figured to buy one of the hones with 2 or 3 straight stones, but the Flex Hone (ball hone) seems to be a pretty good idea. I'm not really sure yet if I'll use cast or moly rings. It has cast in it now, would it be any problem to upgrade to a set of moly rings? Or would it even be worth the extra expense/trouble? Would I need a different grit to hone for moly rings instead of cast? One site shows 180 or 240 grit for cast, 320 or 400 grit for moly. Another site says to use 220-280 grit for any type of ring. ?????? confused.gif confused.gif

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ed

If the cyl r straight, no scratches, use ball hone with cast rings only, must use lots of cutting fluid n must have cross hatch in cyl!!!!!!! If using single moly ring 320 to 400 finish is req. If using double moly ring 525 to 600 finish is req. On the double moly finish, it will be mirrior like finish. ALL FINISHES MUST HAVE A CROSS HATCH IM THEM.........

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users