Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Remember The USAC Stock Car Circuit - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remember The USAC Stock Car Circuit Go Back With Dave Whitcomb

#1 User is offline   saycheese Icon

• Kevin Allgire
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Motorsports/All Kinds,&amp; Hockey<br />Local Auto Racing History

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

While going through a photo album for Baer Field Speedway I came across these two USAC Stock Car Circuit photo's of Dave Whitcomb's car that was sponsored by Howard's Photo Lab in Fort Wayne,IN.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   mrvids Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Is Butch Hartman driving the #75 in the top photo?
2004 MSTRC Yahoo NASCAR Fantasy Champion 2004-05 MSTRC Yahoo Fantasy Football Champion.
2009-10 MSTRC BCS Bowl Pick'em Champion

#3 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

I'm sure he is.. My dad and cousin use to run a few USAC shows.. Nothing sticks in my mind more that seeing a Superbird on DIRT. I still think if IROC would have run at Eldora that would have put some new blood into things. How about a Nationwide race,, I know they would never go cup. When ARCA runs the dirt shows the place is always packed.

#4 User is offline   saycheese Icon

• Kevin Allgire
  • Icon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Kevin 05 @ Feb 4 2010, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure he is.. My dad and cousin use to run a few USAC shows.. Nothing sticks in my mind more that seeing a Superbird on DIRT. I still think if IROC would have run at Eldora that would have put some new blood into things. How about a Nationwide race,, I know they would never go cup. When ARCA runs the dirt shows the place is always packed.

Sounds like Superpro is gonna run some dirt.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

maybe I could whore myself out to drive for somebody that doesn't want to get dirty?? I'll do it for FREEEEEEEEE.
The Wizard

#6 User is offline   Partsman Dan Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Outlaw asphalt super latemodels and super modifieds

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Sal Tovella, Norm Nelson, Roger mcCluskey, AJ of course, Rusty Wallace, Ken Schrader, Ramo Stott used to run in USAC.

And a guy by the name of Bill Behling ran a few USAC stock car races in the rear early days before becoming more known as the co-owner of Behling Racing Equipment up in Wisconsin.

Bill's another great guy, helped me when I first started selling parts trackside.

#7 User is offline   ol'shoe22 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Jack Bowsher, Don White, Bay Darnell, Paul Feldner, Roger Regeth, Gene Marmor, Al and Bobby Unser, Mario Andretti, Parnelli Jones, Tony Bettenhausen, Bobby Allison, Jim Hurtubise, Dave Marcis, Dick Trickle, Dean Roper, Bob Brevak, Gordon Johncock, Bob Keselowski, Dave Watson, H.B. Bailey, Harold Fair, Bob Schacht, Bill Venturini

All names I have seen race at the Milwaukee Mile in the USAC stocks. I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up in Milwaukee and been able to see these greats on The Mile in the late 60's to mid-70's. Roger McCluskey was my favorite driver of that era. I talked with H.B. Bailey down at Atlanta about 20 years ago and when I brought up the USAC stock cars and Milwaukee he lit up and said that was the most fun he had racing. I have a just about complete collection of Milwaukee Mile USAC race programs covering 1960-1983. The USAC stocks ran Milwaukee four times a year in the heyday.

#8 User is offline   Partsman Dan Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Some great names indeed Ole Shoe

Back in the day with ASA at Milwaukee were great times too.

To bad we can't roll back time. I used to AJ in his USAC Camaro running.

#9 User is offline   Gunner Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

ol'shoe, do you remember when Dave Watson was nearly unbeatable at Milwaukee in USAC?

When Dick Trickle rented a car from Dale Jarret's team for a USAC race at Milwaukee, Jarret had a cigarette lighter installed on the dash (which was nicely finished wood) for Dick. I don't recall who Jarret was driving for at the time, but that was a beautiful car inside and out. Wonderfully fabricated and finished.

Don't forget that Kulwicki ran some USAC too.

I grew up in the Fox Valley so I got to see USAC at what was then KK Speedway (now Wisconsin International Raceway) in Kaukauna. Man, it was something to see Hartman slightly touch the outside wall in the dog-leg nearly every lap. He was definitely on the racer's edge there.

Anybody remember George Geisen racing USAC out of Appleton, WI? He ran a lot with Roger Regeth, JJ Smith and the yellow #5 car out of the Fox Valley. I don't recall the #5 drivers name now, but he was real good on dirt and won a few of the big state fair races in IL and IA that USAC ran. I am gonna have to go back in the old stuff to find his name. AH-HA! It was MJ McBride! Man, he was good too. We always thougt it was so cool that we could read about these guys running the big races down-state or out of state that then see them the next week on the local dirt and paved tracks. Those guys were awesome.

Then there were the local goofs who bought one of McCluskey's Superbirds to run on the 1/2 mile dirt at Shawano. It was kinda funny to see them take a few laps, then come into the pit and adjust the wing a fraction of a degree and go back out for 2 - 3 laps and come back in again to adjsut the wing. Over and over, but never seemed to gain anything. They were working at it though.

#10 User is offline   Partsman Dan Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

I can also remember how Stock Car Magazine would run a multy page write about the races at Milwaukee along with some great pics.

Another track out your way that goes back a way's was the Minnesota State Fairgrounds Speedway. Does it still run any races?

Didnt Ron Hutcherson run in USAC too.

#11 User is offline   Gunner Icon

• Touring series rookie
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

I haven't heard anything of the MN state fair in a few years, so I suspect that they are not running anymore. That was a big race that drew a lot of talent every year.

I don't recognize Ron Hutcherson. If he was out of WI he may have been a bit before I became aware.

You mentioned ASA at The Mile. Those races drew about as strong a field as you could hope to get, but that was when most of the the NASCAR guys were more like Kyle Bush and would race anytime they could. I recall seeing David Pearson's name on an ASA entry list for Milwaukee. I beleive that he did run the race.

Good thing we remember, cuz it will never be like that again. Not that that is a bad thing, just good racing memories.

#12 User is offline   ol'shoe22 Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

The last USAC stock car race I saw was in 1978 at "THE MILE". Dave Watson won over Bobby Allison who was driving the AMC Hornet that day. They put on a good show but those two out classed the rest of the field that afternoon.

I do believe that Ron Hutcherson did run in USAC for a time, I'd have to look at my programs to see what years.

The early ASA fields were spectacular! I have several early ASA programs from Milwaukee too.

#13 User is offline   indyrand Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: PR Members

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

I always used to enjoy the Twin 200's at MIS with the USAC Indy cars for 200 laps and also the USAC Stckers for a 200 lapper. It was a lot of fun seeing both run the same day aand a lot of the drivers did double duty.

Also one name that wasn't yet mentioned was Joe Ruttman. He had some great championship battles with Foyt and Rusty from 1978-1980. Joe won the championship in 1980 which propelled his move to NASCAR the next year with JD Stacy.
Rand Thompson

Member Board of Directors & Public Relations Director
Michigan Auto Racing Fan Club (MARFC) MARFC

Michigan International Speedway Pit Tour Coordinator MIS

Track Photographer at Flat Rock Speedway

#14 User is offline   saycheese Icon

• Kevin Allgire
  • Icon

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (indyrand @ Feb 11 2010, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always used to enjoy the Twin 200's at MIS with the USAC Indy cars for 200 laps and also the USAC Stckers for a 200 lapper. It was a lot of fun seeing both run the same day aand a lot of the drivers did double duty.

Also one name that wasn't yet mentioned was Joe Ruttman. He had some great championship battles with Foyt and Rusty from 1978-1980. Joe won the championship in 1980 which propelled his move to NASCAR the next year with JD Stacy.

Speaking of Joe Ruttman here are three of his cars from the past. The first one was owned by Steve Asztalos currently from Angola,IN. I think the first car being a modified was really a sharp lookin race car.

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Warbird7 Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone, a friend referred me to your site. I own Ramo Stott's old USAC Superbird. If anyone can help, I am searching for photos from the MIS Twin 200 USAC races from 1971 and 1972. Ramo won the race in the car in 1972. Lem Blankenship drove the car at MIS in 1971. For some reason, the 1972 pics seem to be hard to come by. Maybe someone here can keep their eyes open.

Here are two photos of Ramo and the Bird 38 years apart. The top one is Milwaukee in 1972 and the bottom at Gateway Raceway in September 2010.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users