Michigan Short Track Racing Club: How to wash a fire suit? - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to wash a fire suit? Best way?

#1 User is offline   61SSracer Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:RACING and POKER

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

What's the Best way to wash a fire suit? I've got a 2 piece triple layer G-Force fire suit in need of a good washing! Is there a Special way to do this? I just want to make sure that there's nothing different than washing normal cloths. The tags have been removed with the washing instructions, and just want to know what the Best way to wash is?

Hot or Cold water? Normal cycle or gentle? Dryer or Hang to dry? Is there a particular soap to use? DOES ANYTHING HARM THE FIRE PROTECTION OF THE SUIT?

Thanks for any help, and Yes i KNOW i'm going to get Crap for asking about Washing cloths? :wedgie:

Chuck
Race cars are like women ~ you find a GREAT one & you want to Keep it forever, but you're ALWAYS Checking out the other ones around you ! ! SHAGGY

#2 User is offline   Leinieman Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

Hey Chuck,
My buddy Jim takes his to the dry cleaners. I jsut let mine hang in the garage all week and air out. If I were you I wouldn't do anything until after the seasons over, you might wash all the good luck you have had lately out of it! LOL!

Leinieman

#3 User is offline   governor Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Chuck,

My wife just uses cold water and hangs on the line to dry, but I would hang in the shade or inside to dry if it is red or orange as those tend to fad very fast.

She has done it this way for over 20 years and they last me 3-4 years before I buy new.

Good Luck

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#4 User is offline   J_Tucker Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:Racing, Football, Baseball

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

dry cleaners is the way to go
Jimmy Tucker
Jimmy Tucker Motorsports
Mt. Clemens, Michigan

#5 User is offline   61SSracer Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

View Postgovernor, on 15 August 2010 - 07:04 PM, said:

Chuck,

My wife just uses cold water and hangs on the line to dry, but I would hang in the shade or inside to dry if it is red or orange as those tend to fad very fast.

She has done it this way for over 20 years and they last me 3-4 years before I buy new.

Good Luck

Gov

Do i just use Regular detergent and cold water wash cycle?

Thanks,
Chuck
Race cars are like women ~ you find a GREAT one & you want to Keep it forever, but you're ALWAYS Checking out the other ones around you ! ! SHAGGY

#6 User is offline   61SSracer Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

View PostLeinieman, on 15 August 2010 - 05:31 PM, said:

Hey Chuck,
My buddy Jim takes his to the dry cleaners. I jsut let mine hang in the garage all week and air out. If I were you I wouldn't do anything until after the seasons over, you might wash all the good luck you have had lately out of it! LOL!

Leinieman

Believe me i Thought about that ~ i'm still unsure if i'll wash now or in 3 weeks!!

Having been born on Friday the 13th, i try to pretend i'm Not superstitious, but Well........... :stirthepot: Magic Potions are out there!!!!!! LOL

Chuck

#7 User is offline   Rikk Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

View Post61SSracer, on 15 August 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

What's the Best way to wash a fire suit? I've got a 2 piece triple layer G-Force fire suit in need of a good washing! Is there a Special way to do this? I just want to make sure that there's nothing different than washing normal cloths. The tags have been removed with the washing instructions, and just want to know what the Best way to wash is?

Hot or Cold water? Normal cycle or gentle? Dryer or Hang to dry? Is there a particular soap to use? DOES ANYTHING HARM THE FIRE PROTECTION OF THE SUIT?

Thanks for any help, and Yes i KNOW i'm going to get Crap for asking about Washing cloths? :wedgie:

Chuck

I'd go with hand washing in cold water with a detergent that is safe for babies clothes. That's probably the most mild soap. Then just let it hang to dry. 8)

From Simpson's site:
How do I care for my firesuit?We recommend you dry clean your suit with a reputable dry cleaning establishment. Never use petroleum based dry cleaning solvents on your firesuit. After a race, hang the suit to dry before storing.

From F-Force's site:
How would I clean my products?
When in doubt, mild soap and water will work with most any product. As for racing suits, wash in cold water and hang to dry. Some manufacturers recommend dry cleaning but to be sure of the chemicals used, you should wash at home. With helmets a damp cloth and mild soap used to blot the inside of the liner will help remove any built up residue. Belts are susceptible to sunlight and water will speed up the aging process. Be sure to remove or cover belts when washing the inside of a racing vehicle
Rikk Kolacz
Corunna, MI

#8 User is offline   governor Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

View Post61SSracer, on 15 August 2010 - 11:01 PM, said:

Do i just use Regular detergent and cold water wash cycle?

Thanks,
Chuck

Yes, and use Simple Green to clean areas that have oil or grease. Simple Green is very safe to use yet will get out the oil based products.

Gov
A Passion for Modified Racing

#9 User is offline   KBM17g Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racin racin racin racin!. My family, hunting, fishing and camping.. I like target shooting handguns and rifles, I collect firearms too.. Some stick and ball sports.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

Kat just washes mine cold on a regular cycle with regular laundry detergent, then hang to dry.
Rob Gray
KB Motorsports #17g

www.kbmotorsports17g.webs.com

#10 User is offline   Leinieman Icon

• Full time racer
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

I forgot to mention that my wife turns my suit inside out and lets it hang in the sun for a day to help kill the smell. If you wash yours you might want to turn it inside out too. I'm not superstitious about most the usual stuff. I like the number 13 and black cats. Its the odd things that get me, like washing my suit. LOL!

Leinieman

#11 User is offline   GavinHunyady187 Icon

• Icon

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Just dont wash it with regular clothes, cause the lint will get on it and be very flammable, and dont dry it. Dry cleaning is nice, but it gets expensive fast.

I got blasted by the fire extinguisher at Kokomo when I wrecked if you want to talk about a mess to clean...
2013 tentative schedule
27-Apr Crystal Motor Speedway.............20-Jul Crystal Motor Speedway
4-May I96 Speedway...............................3-Aug I96 Speedway
17-May Tri City Speedway.......................9-Aug Spartan Speedway
26-May Crystal Motor Speedway.............16-Aug Tri City Speedway
31-May Spartan Speedway......................17-Aug Owendale Speedway
7-Jun Spartan Speedway.........................31-Aug Crystal Motor Speedway
15-Jun Butler Speedway..........................1-Sep Spartan Speedway
21-Jun Tri City Speedway.........................13-Sep Crystal Motor Speedway
28-Jun Mt Pleasant Speedway..................14-Sep Crystal Motor Speedway
29-Jun Merritt Raceway.............................21-Sep Tri City Speedway
19-Jul Tri City Speedway

Follow me on Facebook!

#12 User is offline   Bishop Icon

• Icon
  • Group: PR Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Laundering guide for Nomex
Nomex Literature

I used to have this place do it. Very Cheap.
Pro Clean 11956 N Saginaw St, Mt Morris, MI‎ - (810) 686-2480
Randy
'Bishop'

Posted Image Posted Image

Benefits for Kids _______________
Official Hat and Shirt Embroidery Company for Bishop Performance

Bishop Performance Legends Club

The Better Choice!

Worry Free Racing - Guaranteed Fewest Yellows
(average 1.58 per race night)

Service, Parts, Rentals and Rent to Own

Since 2009, 59 73 different drivers have made a better choice

#13 User is offline   schinde Icon

• schinde
  • Icon
  • Interests:Music, motorcycles and modifieds, in varied order dependent upon season.<br /><br />And of course, my grand daughter Kayleigh, who I intend to spoil. Some say I spoiled my daughter, I say bunk, I gave her what she earned, and what I could, and she has turned out very well, thank you.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

I've done it both ways, cold water wash with Tide normal detergent and dry cleaning. I always dry clean it at the end of the season before I hang it up for the year.

Nice thing about dry cleaning it is that it looks good for the first race of the year. Don't matter how anything else is working if the suit looks good, ya know.

(yeah, right)

have a good day,

schinde
Short track racing is more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!

#14 User is offline   TaBOGIE Icon

• Super Late Model Owner & Driver
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

I have been wearing RJS suits for 7 years.
First wash of the suit; turn suit inside out and wash in cold water with ONLY one cup of white vinegar, this sets the color.
Second wash and all washes after; Turn suit inside out and wash in cold water with mild detergent (wholitte or simple green)
And aways HANG DRY !
Terry A. Bogusz
Fast Company Motorsports
1997 River City Speedway Champion (Karting)
2008 Auto City Super Stock Track Champion
#550 ARCA Outlaw Super Late Model

#15 User is offline   61SSracer Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the help/advise! I just got done washing the suit! I washed all the fire/nomex cloths together with Tide on cold/cold water setting ~ man were they dirty the water looked like chocolate milk (Yuck!)

After the washing with soap, i Rewashed a second time Without any soap to make sure any left over soap residue was removed! I've got them hanging to Dry!

I did find a tag in the coat that said NOT To Dry Clean, and the nomex under :wedgie: cloths said that regular wash Wouldn't harm the fire protection of the cloths!

Thanks,
Chuck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users