Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Bert transmission - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bert transmission

#1 User is offline   maizeandblue82 Icon

  • Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: --

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

It seems that no matter what I do I can't get my Bert to shift into reverse. The car is on jackstands and no matter where i put the shifters when i engage the clutch the rear tires spin forward. Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.
0

#2 User is offline   Rocky Icon

  • Filthy Sailor
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 3,357
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia Beach, Va Via Birch Run

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:09 AM

and also, mine don't seem to be bolted up tight to the crank, do I need to bevel the crank so thse coupler fits. seems like the starter gear is engaged on the flywheel right now and the flywheel needs to be forward some more. Or is there supposed to be a gap between the coupler and crank? like the bolts draw tight but you see their threads between the crank and coupler.

sorry to piggy back you man I just didn't want to make a new thread with the same title.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-2
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-3
(NC) Clary's Speedway-1
(NC) County Line Raceway-1
(NC) Charlotte dirt track-1
(NC) Charlotte big track-2
(MI) Crystal - 3
(Va)Winchester-1
Lifetime Total 34 tracks in 9 states. How I have managed to go to Crystal 3 times this year I don't know.
0

#3 User is offline   dayracing11 Icon

  • Touring series rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 843
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Suttons Bay

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Rocky I thingk you need shorter flywheel bolts. It should bolt tight and be no gap with the bolts pulling it down tight. The starter drive I believe should have .060-.080" clearance but I could be wrong on this. I know we had to play around with it a little bit on ours when we went to a Burt bell housing.

On the won't shift into reverse I'm not really sure on. Have you tried it in every gear? Sounds stupid but I've jumped into other peoples cars and they had the shifter set up backwards from what I had mine and confused me a little. It could have something internally wrong with it and you might have to call Bert. I haven't heard of that one before tho. If you figure it out please let us know just in case we have something like that happen.
0

#4 User is offline   mod911 Icon

  • mod911
  • Icon
  • Group: Sponsor Member
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:owosso mi
  • Interests:racing, skiing,

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

HAS IT BEEN WORKED ON SINCE LAST USE? Man made problems are different than natural problems. If the bolts are too long and have enough threads they will drill right into the oil pan lip. So if it runs the problem is probably the shank is too deep and it is hitting threads. Add machine washers that just fill up the area under the shoulder just enough to stop the shank form bottoming out. Look for a shiny ring around the shank where it meets the threads.That may make the bolt harder to remove since the threads in the crank will be damaged at the top thread. Of course the question may be is the flywheel on backwards? Done that before myself,it will distort and mess with the flywheel to starter clearance also.
Lead, follow or get out of the way.
0

#5 User is offline   Rocky Icon

  • Filthy Sailor
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 3,357
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia Beach, Va Via Birch Run

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

View Postmod911, on 24 April 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

HAS IT BEEN WORKED ON SINCE LAST USE? Man made problems are different than natural problems. If the bolts are too long and have enough threads they will drill right into the oil pan lip. So if it runs the problem is probably the shank is too deep and it is hitting threads. Add machine washers that just fill up the area under the shoulder just enough to stop the shank form bottoming out. Look for a shiny ring around the shank where it meets the threads.That may make the bolt harder to remove since the threads in the crank will be damaged at the top thread. Of course the question may be is the flywheel on backwards? Done that before myself,it will distort and mess with the flywheel to starter clearance also.




No Dick, I actually called somebody to make sure it wasn't on backwards. I wish I had a picture. there's no shank on the bolts, thing is when I tighten them the flywheel mates up with the back of the dang crank but the it don't pull in all the way to where the flywheel is well fitting like a stock flywheel since that's the best way I can describe it. it IS tight to the crank but I can see threads between the crank and the flywheel. I could have tried to torque the crap out of them to pull it on but I'm not sure it is supposed to fit that way so I decided I better ask you guys before I broke something. what's the gap supposed to be between the crank (part where the bolt holes are) and the flywheel? no gap or other?
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-2
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-3
(NC) Clary's Speedway-1
(NC) County Line Raceway-1
(NC) Charlotte dirt track-1
(NC) Charlotte big track-2
(MI) Crystal - 3
(Va)Winchester-1
Lifetime Total 34 tracks in 9 states. How I have managed to go to Crystal 3 times this year I don't know.
0

#6 User is offline   gw22 Icon

  • Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: 10-November 08

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

View PostRocky, on 24 April 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

No Dick, I actually called somebody to make sure it wasn't on backwards. I wish I had a picture. there's no shank on the bolts, thing is when I tighten them the flywheel mates up with the back of the dang crank but the it don't pull in all the way to where the flywheel is well fitting like a stock flywheel since that's the best way I can describe it. it IS tight to the crank but I can see threads between the crank and the flywheel. I could have tried to torque the crap out of them to pull it on but I'm not sure it is supposed to fit that way so I decided I better ask you guys before I broke something. what's the gap supposed to be between the crank (part where the bolt holes are) and the flywheel? no gap or other?


Is there a pilot bushing in there? Could the flange be bottoming out on that? Just a thought
0

#7 User is offline   tricknology Icon

  • Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 3,235
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I-696 and I-94 ( Gratiot Rd. & 10 mile)
  • Interests:Driving and Building Race cars.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

View Postgw22, on 25 April 2011 - 11:44 PM, said:

Is there a pilot bushing in there? Could the flange be bottoming out on that? Just a thought



is the end of the input shaft too long?? ( I have had to shorten some aftemarket( jerico / richmond ) trans input shaft at the tip,,,so it would not bottom out on the crank where the pilot bushing goes.
0

#8 User is offline   Rocky Icon

  • Filthy Sailor
  • Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Posts: 3,357
  • Joined: --
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia Beach, Va Via Birch Run

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

crank had just enough rust built up on it to keep it from mating correctly. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and some PB Blaster. Problem solved.
Imported From Saginaw.
(Va) Langley Speedway-2
(Va) Virginia Motor Speedway-3
(NC) Clary's Speedway-1
(NC) County Line Raceway-1
(NC) Charlotte dirt track-1
(NC) Charlotte big track-2
(MI) Crystal - 3
(Va)Winchester-1
Lifetime Total 34 tracks in 9 states. How I have managed to go to Crystal 3 times this year I don't know.
0

#9 User is offline   scott Icon

  • Full time racer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 149
  • Joined: 13-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:eaton rapids

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

View Postmaizeandblue82, on 22 April 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

It seems that no matter what I do I can't get my Bert to shift into reverse. The car is on jackstands and no matter where i put the shifters when i engage the clutch the rear tires spin forward. Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.



Sounds like either the shift fork is broke or the roll pin is broke. low and 1 to 1 are on the top shifting rod and reverse is all by itself on the bottom one.
Scott
2010 2nd place points pony class SMS
2010 ROTY pony class SMS
Crew Chief and car Owner #82 Spartan Stock
2nd in points and Rookie of the year for the wife in ABC A division 2011 Spartan Speedway
Jellybean Racing.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users