Michigan Short Track Racing Club: Asphalt modified setups - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Asphalt modified setups

#1 User is offline   Mark11 Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon
  • Group: New Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

looking to make my 4 bar Dirt modified a pavement car. i know its not going to be blistering fast but dirt is starting to suck. if anyone can help me out with a baseline setup or anything pm me, or call me at 231-499-3368. I added a right side j bar mount, and figured id have to put a sway bar in. but if anyone has raced without a sway bar let me know that setup. like i said, any help will be appreciated. Thanks, mark
Mark Nienhouse
231-499-3368
Traverse City, MI

#2 User is offline   31motors Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:all types of racing,oval,rally,if its fast I'm there.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

Trevor berry's Portcity car has a 4 bar rear susp. He swept this last weekend. You could call them and get there base line setup. They are on bump stops so you have to learn those with there set up.

#3 User is offline   imca27mod Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Is Trevor's a z-link 4 bar?

#4 User is offline   Alex Donnert Icon

• Fan in the stands
  • Icon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

View Postimca27mod, on 02 August 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

Is Trevor's a z-link 4 bar?

nope
Alex Donnert
#2 Coyote Chassis Modified

#5 User is offline   31motors Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon
  • Interests:all types of racing,oval,rally,if its fast I'm there.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

No his isnt a z link. Standard 4 bar but no where near as agressive as the dirt cars Ive looked at. Your unlces old windpusher had a z link for a short time.
Dave Flanigen(spelling?) was really fast with the old z link house car on asphalt.

#6 User is offline   imca27mod Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

Yeah uncle Bob had a z-link Windpusher. Dave was fast with the z-link back in the day. I never had one but I know that they are hard to get right without creating too much or to little rear steer or "bump". When done right I understand they have the least amount of effect on the chassis vs a 3 link or 4-bar.

I just thought that it maybe a z-link pavement car is coming back. lol. Clearly a standard 4-bar will work on pavement. If you had the bars level or downward it would work. With a slight downward angle it would drive the chassis right down on the bump stops. Is it floated or clamped?

Typically on dirt the lower bar controls the amount of rear steer and the upper bar controls how soon you get traction and a little bit of rear steer. These are all with the angles upward. Not for sure how it would be on a pavement 4-bar.

I'm guessing more angle on the upper bars would create more downward force on the the chassis moving the car to the bumps, then to the rear tires. So the more power to the rear wheels (as you accelerate) the more that force is being exerted down on the rear wheels as long as their not spinning. Then you work in whether or not its clamped or floated. That will also play in effect. I just don't know much about the whole car being on a bump stop setup.

I dont know how a dirt car would react if you did decreased the angles that much if possiable. I'm betting a dirt mod would be extremely tight. It would need a sway bar. I hot lapped my dirt car on pavement before with a dirt setup and I don't think it would ever fast enough on pavement.

#7 User is offline   imca27mod Icon

• Track champion
  • Icon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

Mark11

If the mod you have for sale is the one you want to convert over you would be giving up a lot compared to most pavement mods. It sounds like a really good piece for dirt.

You would be giving up a lot in width to the chevelle and impala subs being that yours is a metric. Also with the overslung rearend you would have a high center of gravity as far as the weight goes. There would be no way around this unless you did a whole lot of fabrication.

#8 User is offline   Mark11 Icon

• Crew member
  • Icon

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

Yeah I took a look at some asphalt cars this weekend. Theres no way my dirt car would be competitive. anyone out there want to trade?!??
Mark Nienhouse
231-499-3368
Traverse City, MI

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users