Michigan Short Track Racing Club: The common modified tire dream... - Michigan Short Track Racing Club

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The common modified tire dream...

#1 Guest_HRT187_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:35 AM

The age old problem of having a common tire has been that MMA guys don't want to race on the 970s and the Hoosier guys don't want to race on the MMA tires... AND the simple fact that tracks selling hoosiers want their cars on hoosiers and tracks running McCrearys want their cars on McCrearys. IMCA may have opened the door to a possible solution.

I just noticed that IMCA has changed their tire supplier to Hoosier for the G60-15. I'm wondering if there would be any interest in trying to commonize to the g60-15 from McCreary or Hoosier by the MI racers as a chance to get all the mods on the same tire. So basically, you could race at any track with any manufacturer without stepping on the toes of the track, because they can still sell McCrearys or Hoosiers.

Of course a few things would have to happen for this to be remotely possible.
    1. Tire testing for time, wear, and consistancy... in a scientific method.
    2. An honest effort by all promoters and racers to work together to lower the cost of our sport.
    3. First and foremost the buy-in of racers and some people willing to put in some legwork

Anyone have any ideas? Or more importantly have any of the dirt guys had a chance to stick both tires with a durometer or tell any differences on the track?

#2 User is offline   cpracer Icon

• Touring series champion
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

I dont feel there is a tire problem, USA mods use a 970, Dixie and Auto City and Owosso use a 970. The only tracks that use an MMA tire are Spartan and Springport. Where is the tire issue??? 8O

#3 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:03 AM

Try taking your 970s from AC to the USA races.

I would like to race anywhere and see the car counts go up at other tracks when one track is off.

Car counts are down, crowd counts are down more, and the cost is high. That's a problem.

#4 User is offline   team80mi Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Senior Members
  • Interests:racing, fast cars,beer

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(HRT187)
Try taking your 970s from AC to the USA races.

I would like to race anywhere and see the car counts go up at other tracks when one track is off.  

Car counts are down, crowd counts are down more, and the cost is high. That's a problem.
Are you going to Dixie this week end? I would like to get that rear end if I could.
Team80Motorsports Second, is the first loser
Gerry Persails Sr.

#5 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

I'll bring it.

#6 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thought I'd bump this one to the top with the talk about no MMA on pavement anymore.

Another thought I had was this, has the Owosso track record fallen this year? Since the 970 is run there now, I figured we'd see how much faster it really is. There might be other factors I'm overlooking.

#7 User is offline   governor Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Family and Racing

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

I would bet about any amount of money that if Spartan is not MMA next year that you will see, both the American Racer and the 970's legal at Spartan. It would be very foolish to be the only track in the lower half of MI that would not allow 970's on a modified.

This is now our best opportunity to have the common tire rule we have all been talking about the past few years mods.

Make sure those of you who get a chance to talk to Gary bring this up.

Maybe we need a meeting with the mod drivers and Gary Fedewa on Friday to start planting the seed.

The, Governor

#8 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

You guys know what to do.

I just wish that Wayne Bishop could sell Hoosiers.

Heck with no MMA and Hoosiers it'd be like $600 cheaper for me to drop in at Spartan after work once in a while. My drivers can attest to the fact that I can never make it to Dixie before qualifying, Spartan might be do-able if I drive the rig to work.

#9 User is offline   mod4 Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:Racing and Hockey

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:32 AM

I posted before all the tracks in lower Michigan are on the 970, why are you making this so hard!! If promotors can get together and use USA MODS rules that would be great.
Hodgeson Motorsports

#10 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

WayFast you asked for a dirt guy to respond to the tire question, I'm a dirt guy (sorry Dan) here is some tire background. I stopped running with IMCA a few years back because I could not support them with teh engine claim rule they had or the brick of a tire they were running. So here is some dirt tire info.
I run UMP we have two tire sizes a 26.5 and a 27.5 so you can get the stagger you need.There are three compounds that stick between 40+/_ 2 up to 60+/_ 2. The old IMCA tirewhich was the McCreary had one size and one compound (BRICK) I think the new Hoosier is more like the UMP tire, but I don't know that 100%. And last the USMTS which is like our version of the USA tour run the McCreary G-60 and have just added the KK-704 and they allow "slight" grooving. So even within the dirt ranks we don't always get along. The UMP tire are the best of the group because they allow you choices, if you want to put soft tire on a burn them up they figure it is your pocket. The only place they will not let you run the soft compound is on the mile tracks. If you guys want a real treat, try running a Mod on the mile dirt track.
I'm kind of surprised also that we have not heard from any of the USA officials. Kazoo could be there northern hideout. Not sure if Steve Ellis ever reads any of this (it is in Michigan) but I know "BUBBA" does. Any words of wisdom from the state of Indiana??????
The Wizard

#11 User is offline   schinde Icon

• schinde
  • Icon
  • Interests:Music, motorcycles and modifieds, in varied order dependent upon season.<br /><br />And of course, my grand daughter Kayleigh, who I intend to spoil. Some say I spoiled my daughter, I say bunk, I gave her what she earned, and what I could, and she has turned out very well, thank you.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

(cue the background music, picture Don Quixote on horseback, staring dolefully up at the windmill with his lance at the ready)

"To Dream, The Impossible Dream, To Fight, The Impossible Fight, To Try, With your Last Ounce Of Courage, To Right, The Unrightable Wrong,..

This Is My Quest,........."

A common tire, what a wonderful thing. You can best believe, that no matter how well we all think of Wayne, that speaking with Gary is in our best interest as Mod drivers at Spartan, so that he is very well clued into what it is that we have as issues as a class racing there. And, given that Springport may well not be totally dead, this issue goes to that track also.

A common tire, a choice of tracks to run at for a driver that cannot afford to stock an inventory of tires of different makes, oh, what a wonderful thing that would be.

Now, if we can just get the common sanctioning group, oh my Lord, Nirvana is at hand!!!!!!!!!

Governor, time for you to begin uniting us and get us heading in that common direction, just ask for the help and you know there are some of us that will be there with you,

have a good day,

schinde
Short track racing is more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!

#12 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:adrenaline

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(cpracer)
I dont feel there is a tire problem, USA mods use a 970, Dixie and Auto City and Owosso use a 970. The only tracks that use an MMA tire are Spartan and Springport. Where is the tire issue???  8O

There we have it...There is no problem!!! End of discussion.

Claude. Pretend for a minute that you would like to run at Spartan or Springport once in a while in addition to Owosso, A.C. and Dixie.

Mike

#13 Guest_HRT187_*

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(mod4)
I posted before all the tracks in lower Michigan are on the 970, why are you making this so hard!! If promotors can get together and use USA MODS rules that would be great.

Who's making what hard? I'm confused by what you mean Joe. Keep in mind that the original post with the idea on the G-60 was (2months ago) before the news of Springport closing.

I agree that the 970 is the best choice because you can run it at most places. Still not all of them though.

I wonder how we can push to get the USA mods rules at all of our tracks. Keep in mind that one promoter going back on his word will screw this all up for all of us, and lock us into a few tracks like we've had the last few years.

#14 User is offline   cpracer Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Do you know how old that post was Mike?

Lets pretend that I want to race Springport.

Why even make a post that makes no sense.

Thats like me taking a stab at you and saying lets pretend we all have the money to race all the time.

I like you alot mike but you are tough to follow sometimes.

#15 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

I didn't look at the date....

But you said you've never raced at Springport in another thread, and I've never seen you at Spartan with your mod.

It makes perfect sense...If you have no desire to come race at Springport or Spartan, then that would be why you don't see a problem with any current tire rules. However, most drivers would like the option to go any track they want without buying tires or changing parts.

That's all.

I like you too Claude, but it seems like you make all of your posts based on what is in your parts inventory and where you intend to go rather than what is best for the entire class like most people are trying to do.

#16 User is offline   Kevin 05 Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

Governor, you can also add me to your campagine list. That is as long as you would let a dirt guy in. As you know my shop is not far from Kazoo and it is great to hear the news. Besides if I switch back to asphalt, if I remember right there are a lot fewer rutts in the stuff. The ruts at Eldora and Terra haute are starting to wear on this old man.

#17 User is offline   cpracer Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

WellMike I disagree with you. I said and I can find it if you like, I thought the AL head thing was stupid because it was an expense that was not needed. I said flat out said I had an 18* to run at my disposal and still didnt want too.

I have run my mod at Spartan before.

I have spoke out against MMA because of the fee's and the tire's used.

So I dont see how I am not speaking for the good of the class, can you show me anywhere that I have not wanted to help make MODS affordable?

#18 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

Claude- After some thought...

I think the Aluminum head thing was more of an opinion difference than anything. Most of us see it as something that is the same cost yet repairable, and something that would put us more in line with the USA mods for flexibility and travel.

The tire issue seems pretty obvious. We all would like to be on the same tire for the same reasons. It just seemed odd that you didn't think there was a problem with tires, but of course that was before the recent Springport announcement and the possible demise of the asphalt MMA division.

So, with those things said, I believe maybe I jumped to a premature conclusion about your agenda. I apologize.

Mike

#19 User is offline   racinray75 Icon

• Icon
  • Interests:ummm racing

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:16 AM

Same cost yet repairable? yeah there repairable but.... Have you heard of a super late modle engine?

#20 User is offline   MaddMike Icon

• Icon

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

500-550 even 600hp is attainable using 23 degree heads just like what we use now. Do you need more than that? Remember it's about forward bite....We've been through all this before, just like we've gove over the 14 degree Iron heads made by Pro Action.

It Doesn't matter what material they are made out of, the HP can be found...

This is about tires anyways, so let's talk tires.

Mike

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users